Monday, December 11, 2017

Disturbing feelings during pregnancy

The main thing I have learned in psychotherapy is that wrong or forbidden feelings do not exist. You are allowed to feel whatever you feel. Even when you are pregnant. You can feel so angry at someone that sometimes you want to hurt or to kill him or her and you can even have fantasies about doing it. It is completely normal if you do not do it in reality. It is completely normal to have such feeling for... your baby. It may sound very harsh, but it is the reality. The world is not just black or white. It is mainly grey. We can love and be angry at someone at the same time. I can be very angry at my baby when I feel nauseous all the time for days. At the same time I can love my baby to the moon and back. I know that some women can condemn me for my words. But I am not a bad person. I just have the courage to talk about difficult things. Most pregnant women do not allow themselves to have ambivalent feelings or they block them unconciously. Sometimes such moral filters we have can result in depression or can cause various psychosomatic symptoms. For example, for me vomiting during pregnancy stopped as soon as I stopped trying to be happy about my pregnancy and said loudly that sometimes I was so exhausted I wanted the pregnancy to disappear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment