Monday, December 18, 2017

How does my family deal with my depression during pregnancy?

My depression during pregnancy is a serious challenge for my family. I live with my fiance and my parents. They have seen me at my worst. For them it is very difficult to understand how I can be depressed when I am pregnant with a baby who is wanted by all the family. 

The truth is I tried to pretend that my depression did not exist just to make them happy. It would have been easier for me if I would have been honest with my family from the beginning. But I was afraid they could judge or condemn me. 

How did my family react when I finally admitted what was going on? It was hard for them to understand. They tried to convince me to try harder and to pull myself up. It is sad for me to admit that my family did not see how much I was suffering and how much I needed professional help. I have to admit that they saw my depression as my weakness, not a disease. It is sad. They are not insensitive or unconcerned, they do what they think is the best for me. They try. As my therapist explained sometimes for them might be too difficult to admit that someone they love and care about could be suffering so much. And they are not psychiatrists so they are not able to recognize depression.

So dealing with my depression I was mainly on my own. My family helped me a lot by taking care of all the housework, taking me to the doctors or taking care of me eating at least something. But emotionally I was mainly on my own. I can not blame them. They are who they are and they do what they think is the best for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment